Posted Date: Friday, 11-Sep-2015
PHNOM PENH Cambodia says it will clampdown on illegal tour operators and tighten safety and security measures.
According to a Ministry of Tourism media statement, the decision to crackdown on illegal tour operators was taken at he First Public-Private Sector Working Group on the Tourism Sector, late last week.
Fighting against unfair completion in the tourism business, the ministry said it would ensure all companies abide fully by its licensing laws.
Other topics discussed at the meeting included: Management of noise disturbance from entertainment locations; security and safety management at tourism sites (healthy tourism); emergency exit management in tourism business premises; calendar of international travel fairs and events supervised by Ministry of Tourism; and a clean up Cambodia campaign.
inside no 1
inside no 1Phnom Penh Post quoted the government-private sector working group co-chair, Luu Meng, saying the group was working on ways to clean up the industry.
Tourism Minister Thong Khon claimed only 40% of tourism businesses were registered in Phnom Penh.
Regulating already-existing restaurants and bars in residential areas for noise pollution levels was already on the ministry’s to-do list. Notifications would be sent to businesses instructing them to monitor their noise levels, the group co-chair added.
Cambodia Chamber of Commerce advisor, Ho Vandy, claimed unlicensed operators increased security risks for tourists, who may have no recourse if they faced problems with such businesses.
Suggestions have been made to the Tourism Ministry to create an online portal to get feedback from tourists to blow the whistle on unregistered businesses, which would help the authorities to act, he said.
Last year, Cambodia attracted 4.5 million international tourist arrivals increasing 7.0% from 4.2 million in 2013.